Sunday, November 29, 2009

The eyes have it

Yeah yeah..the title is lifted from the ruskin bond story that we had in std XI cbse english reader. Its been 11 long years since they first entered my life. It had to happen at some point of time or the other. I resisted their trying to become a part of my existence but at last they did become a part of my life.
It all started when I went for a drive with my Dad and he happened to ask me what was written behind the car that was parked nearby. I complained of bad light and the fact that i had just spotted a school teacher going on a scooter with her husband and kid but in my heart of hearts I knew the time had come.
'Myopia it is', the blessed opthalmologist announced.-0.75 in the left eye and -1.00 in the right eye.He broke the shattering news with such mildness that I didn't realise the gravity of it until I reached home. My grandparents would not get convinced that it was a hereditary thing. They forced me to try carrot juice and pomegranate juice and a hell lot of other things.'Don't sit like this and read'.
Then came up the visit to the optician's shop. I was fascinated by the amazing variety of frames that he had.Now I wouldn't even have to use sunglasses while playing teacher-teacher I thought.I wanted the pink frame( i can't believe that still) but yes i wanted the barbie pink frame but had to settle for a brown plastic one because kids my age ended up breaking their spectacles every 3-4 weeks and I did not defy that law.
My peers in school were shell shocked and I felt wearing specs was a big handicap. So, when I would enter the school bus I would quietly remove my glasses and put them in my bag and while returning back home put them on before anyone could see it. That way both my mom and I were happy. Little did I know that my Mom was in the mood for some investigation. On the 'occasion' of Parent -Teacher meeting (it was nothing short of a festival cz on that day we got a holiday and our parents were supposed to go to school) my mother happened to ask my class teacher about the fact whether I wore my glasses in school or not. My teacher made sure that the next day I wear my spectacles for the whole day.From that day onward they are stuck to the bridge of my nose.
Time passed, I gained height and my eyesight worsened.I couldn't swim with or without glasses.And even for the simple things i needed my specs. But then i came to terms with it.I read a chapter in the 10th std icse reader and could relate to it so well. I looked around and saw millions of people like me.
Now spectacles are considered 'cool'. Not that I care about that too much. I know I have to live with it. I have accepted them as a part of my life. Only thing, now I use lenses instead of glasses.
I have also learnt to realise the importance of everything in our life. Surely, we must count our blessings!

ps-This note was inspired by an incident involving the breakage of my spectacles and me not having a spare pair and no contact lenses with me.

2 comments:

  1. Barbie pink frame!! LOLL....

    Nice blog!!! Keep 'em coming! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. yep pink!..lol!
    yea will keep 'em coming! :D

    ReplyDelete