Monday, April 5, 2010

Overheard.

I always wondered why beauty parlours were considered places for unwinding by so many women. I mean why subject yourself to so much physical (read: waxing, threading) and mental ( read: getting your precious tresses chopped and paying for it) pain for a few minutes of entertainment. And how would you be entertained, if at all.

Turns out my recent visit to the salon crushed my prejudices. It was hilarious to say the least.

So this elderly foreign national who has barely any hair (and the ones he did were longer than mine) is getting his hair shampooed. So this shop attendant who is a "bhaisaab tryna be mod" kinda fella with blonde streaks et all is busy massaging his head. And this is the little conversation they had.

Shop attendant (in a very weird accent basically an amalgamation of Hindi, Marathi and broken english) : Is it nice? (BTW the question mark wasnt that clear)
Firang (in a very firang accent) : Its lice?!! (he obviously didnt get the former's accent)
Shop attendent: Yes sir, its very nice! (he obviously DID not get the former's accent)
Firang (who again didn't understand this guy) : I've very lice!... Oh @#$&

{ By now the attendant was beaming with joy expecting a $10 tip and the firang was scratching his bald head vigorously}

After the shampoo was done:
Attendant: Sir, do you want mouse? (He meant mousse)
Firang (who heard it as louse): No why would I want it! Remove it! Get rid of it! Can you do something about it?
Attendant: Ok sir, Ill remove the mouse.
Firang (still hearing it as louse) : Thank you! Thank you so much!

In the meanwhile, I was trying hard to contain my laughter, lest my eyebrows get erased off! ;P

2 comments: